[FYI] tux3: Core changes

Daniel Phillips daniel at phunq.net
Tue May 26 11:36:19 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 3:13:02 AM PDT, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Tue 2015-05-26 01:09:59, Daniel Phillips wrote:
>> On Monday, May 25, 2015 11:13:46 PM PDT, David Lang wrote:
>>> I'm assuming that Rik is talking about whatever has the reference to the
>>> page via one of the methods that he talked about.
>>
>> This would be a good moment to provide specifics.
>
> Hmm. This seems like a good moment for you to audit whole kernel, to
> make sure it does not do stuff you don't expect it to.
>
> You are changing core semantics, stuff that was allowed before is not
> allowed now, so it looks like you should do the auditing...

No, we are not changing core semantics. Core semantics remain
unchanged. All these questions are about Tux3 semantics. So I
believe that I am correct in asking for specifics, rather than
general theory. Auditing the whole kernel seems an unreasonable
barrier to merging a filesystem.

> You may want to start with video4linux, as Jan pointed out.

I pointed out that the video case Jan mentioned is a race. Is
that right or wrong? And what responsibility does Tux3 have,
if the use case is a race? I would think: do not oops, do not
corrupt the filesystem. Anything else?