xfs: does mkfs.xfs require fancy switches to get decent performance? (was Tux3 Report: How fast can we fsync?)

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Wed May 13 13:25:38 PDT 2015

Am Mittwoch, 13. Mai 2015, 12:37:41 schrieb Daniel Phillips:
> On 05/13/2015 12:09 PM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Daniel, what are you trying to achieve here?
> >
> > I thought you wanted to create interest for your filesystem and
> > acceptance for merging it.
> >
> > What I see you are actually creating tough is something different.
> >
> > Is what you see after you send your mails really what you want to see?
> > If
> > not… why not? And if you seek change, where can you create change?
>
> That is the question indeed, whether to try and change the system
> while merging, or just keep smiling and get the job done. The problem
> is, I am just too stupid to realize that I can't change the system,
> which is famously unpleasant for submitters.
>
> > I really like to see Tux3 inside the kernel for easier testing, yet I
> > also see that the way you, in your oppinion, "defend" it, does not seem
> > to move that goal any closer, quite the opposite. It triggers polarity
> > and resistance.
> >
> > I believe it to be more productive to work together with the people who
> > will decide about what goes into the kernel and the people whose
> > oppinions are respected by them, instead of against them.
>
> Obviously true.
>
> > "Assume good faith" can help here. No amount of accusing people of bad
> > intention will change them. The only thing you have the power to change
> > is your approach. You absolutely and ultimately do not have the power
> > to change other people. You can´t force Tux3 in by sheer willpower or
> > attacking people.
> >
> > On any account for anyone discussing here: I believe that any personal
> > attacks, counter-attacks or "you are wrong" kind of speech will not help
> > to move this discussion out of the circling it seems to be in at the
> > moment.
> Thanks for the sane commentary. I have the power to change my behavior.
> But if nobody else changes their behavior, the process remains just as
> unpleasant for us as it ever was (not just me!). Obviously, this is
> not the first time I have been through this, and it has never been
> pleasant. After a while, contributors just get tired of the grind and
> move on to something more fun. I know I did, and I am far from the
> only one.

Daniel, if you want to change the process of patch review and inclusion into
the kernel, model an example of how you would like it to be. This has way
better chances to inspire others to change their behaviors themselves than
accusing them of bad faith.

Its yours to choose.

What outcome do you want to create?