xfs: does mkfs.xfs require fancy switches to get decent performance? (was Tux3 Report: How fast can we fsync?)

Daniel Phillips daniel at phunq.net
Thu Apr 30 08:24:15 PDT 2015

On 04/30/2015 07:33 AM, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> Well ok, let's forget bad blood, straw men... and answering my question
> too I suppose.  Not having any sexy  IO gizmos in my little desktop box,
> I don't care deeply which stomps the other flat on beastly boxen.

I'm with you, especially the forget bad blood part. I did my time in
big storage and I will no doubt do it again, but right now, what I care
about is bringing truth and beauty to small storage, which includes
that spinning rust of yours and also the cheap SSD you are about to
run out and buy.

I hope you caught the bit about how Tux3 is doing really well running
in tmpfs? According to my calculations, that means good things for SSD
performance.