xfs: does mkfs.xfs require fancy switches to get decent performance? (was Tux3 Report: How fast can we fsync?)

Mike Galbraith umgwanakikbuti at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 07:33:25 PDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-04-30 at 07:07 -0700, Daniel Phillips wrote:

> On 04/30/2015 06:48 AM, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> >> This has nothing to do with big storage. The proposition was that seek
> >> time is the reason for Tux3's fsync performance. That claim was easily
> >> falsified by removing the seek time.
> >>
> >> Dave's big storage words are there to draw attention away from the fact
> >> that XFS ran the Git tests four times slower than Tux3 and three times
> >> slower than Ext4. Whatever the big storage excuse is for that, the fact
> >> is, XFS obviously sucks at little storage.
> >
> > If you allocate spanning the disk from start of life, you're going to
> > eat seeks that others don't until later.  That seemed rather obvious and
> > straight forward.
>
> It is a logical falacy. It mixes a grain of truth (spreading all over the
> disk causes extra seeks) with an obvious falsehood (it is not necessarily
> the only possible way to avoid long term fragmentation).

Shrug, but seems it is a solution, and more importantly, an implemented
solution.  What I gleaned up as a layman reader is that xfs has no
fragmentation issue, but tux3 still does.  It doesn't seem right to slam
xfs for a conscious design decision unless tux3 can proudly display its
superior solution, which I gathered doesn't yet exist.

> > He flat stated that xfs has passable performance on
> > single bit of rust, and openly explained why.  I see no misdirection,
> > only some evidence of bad blood between you two.
>
> Raising the spectre of theoretical fragmentation issues when we have not
> even begun that work is a straw man and intellectually dishonest. You have
> to wonder why he does it. It is destructive to our community image and
> harmful to progress.

Well ok, let's forget bad blood, straw men... and answering my question
too I suppose.  Not having any sexy  IO gizmos in my little desktop box,
I don't care deeply which stomps the other flat on beastly boxen.

	-Mike