[Tux3] Tux3 report: Tux3 Git tree available

Nick Piggin nickpiggin at yahoo.com.au
Fri Mar 13 02:32:47 PDT 2009

On Friday 13 March 2009 04:06:53 Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:03:31PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > It is basically already proven. It is faster with ext2 and it works with
> > XFS delalloc, unwritten etc blocks (mostly -- except where I wasn't
> > really able to grok XFS enough to convert it). And works with minix
> > with larger block size than page size (except some places where core
> > pagecache code needs some hacking that I haven't got around to).
> >
> > Yes an ext3 conversion would probably reveal some tweaks or fixes to
> > fsblock. I might try doing ext3 next. I suspect most of the problems
> > would be fitting ext3 to much stricter checks and consistency required
> > by fsblock, rather than adding ext3-required features to fsblock.
> >
> > ext3 will be a tough one to convert because it is complex, very stable,
> > and widely used so there are lots of reasons not to make big changes to
> > it.
>
> One possibility would be to do this with ext4 instead, since there are
> fewer users, and it has more a "development" feel to it.  OTOH, there

Yes I think ext4 would be the best candidate for the next conversion.

> are poeple (including myself) who are using ext4 in production
> already, and I'd appreciate not having my source trees on my laptop
> getting toasted.  :-)

Definitely ;)

> Is it going to be possible to make the fsblock conversion being
> something which is handled via CONFIG_EXT4_FSBLOCK #ifdefs, or are the
> changes too invasive to really allow that?  (Also note BTW that ocfs2
> is also using jbd2, so we need to be careful we don't break ocfs2
> while we're doing the fsblock conversion.)

Hmm, it would be difficult. I think once I get a patch working, it
wouldn't be too hard to maintain out of tree though (there tends to
be just a smallish number of patterns used many times). I'd start
by doing that, and see how it looks from there.