[Tux3] Encoding of extent information

Philip Pokorny ppokorny at penguincomputing.com
Wed Oct 8 01:14:12 PDT 2008

Daniel Phillips wrote:
> One thing you might consider: wait a few days for the extent code to
> settle down then try coding it up and running some test cases yourself.
> That is just what the unit test setup is for: trying out an idea in
> isolation.
>
> Notice we have an extent(block, count) function to create and extent
> and an extent_count function to extract the count already, and I can
> easily add an extent_block function.  These functions are there to hide
> the details of packing the extent fields to make it easier to add the
> endian conversionts, but now you can use them to try out your idea.
> There also has to be higher level logical to avoid generating misaligned
> extents, and code to report any that happen to slip through.

Fair enough.

I'm not currently using or developing any FUSE filesystems, so I'll have
to get that development environment configured first.  I was hoping that
you would have the kernel driver ready soon, but the git tree isn't
really a filesystem yet.

I'll take a look at the FUSE tree and see if I can get that to compile.

Phil P.

--
Philip Pokorny, RHCE, Chief Arch. & Sr. Dir. HW & Field Eng.
Tel: 415-954-2823   Cell: 415-370-0835