[Tux3] dump feature / Documentation (was: Re: Design note: Offline filesystem check)

Daniel Phillips phillips at phunq.net
Sun Dec 14 13:43:51 PST 2008

On Sunday 14 December 2008 10:53, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Freitag 12 Dezember 2008 schrieb Daniel Phillips:
> > Using the "advance" style of coding, it is easy to write the tree
> > walker non-recursively, a big help to robustness and clarity.  There
> > will be two nested advance loops, one for the inode table and one for
> > data btrees.  We do not attempt to check the internal structure of
> > metadata files in this pass, because first we want to know that the
> > files are structurally sound.
> >
> > We already have the idea of "leaf check" methods specific to different
> > types of btrees.  We can use this to make our tree walk serve dual
> > purpose, as either a checker or dumper, by optionally calling
> > the "show" method for an index leaf.
>
> So this could be used to implement something like xfs_dump of dump for
> ext2/ext3/ext4?

It could, however it would need an equivalent of xfsrestore too.

A tree walker like this could be adapted for some interesting analysis
purposes, for example it could find and classify all the in-use blocks
of a volume for more accurate analysis by a script like this:

   http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg01103.html

which was written to estimate the effectiveness of block level data
de-duplication.