[Tux3] Hi all, I'm a weak coder but you've my full support

Daniel Phillips phillips at phunq.net
Sat Aug 30 23:30:35 PDT 2008

On Saturday 30 August 2008 17:13, Michael Keulkeul wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> I'm a modest Linux lover which has a lot of interest in file systems
> and storage. Nobody is perfect, You must know I'm working at netapp,
> but I hope this is going to change soon (Paris suxx, I must leave this
> town)
>
> I've seen a query for easy NVRAM not limited with write cycles, I may
> have a stupid trick that you could use : Use a cheap laptop (battery
> backed of course, 1G ethernet give better latencies) and export an
> iSCSI or AoE Lun using a ramdrive as backend. It's not as fast as
> memory, but it's as fast as flash and does not die that quickly on
> massive overwrites. Nice other thing is that multiple initiators can
> use it, so it's not as expensive as it appears.
>
> Let me know if I can help anywhere (I can translate into french for
> exemple) I'll do my best to support a project like this.
>
> Michael B.

Hi Michael,

A weak coder becomes a strong coder by reading code and writing code -
every day, for fun.

As it happened, my initial demonstration of Ramback (see "faster than
a speeding bullet") was done on a laptop.  I did not fail to notice
that the battery essentially turns a laptop into NVRAM, as long as you
have software like Ramback that can get the memory onto disk before
the battery runs out.

There is always a way to help with a project, just keep your eyes open
and watch what is going on.  Try cloning the mercurial reposititory
and see if that works for you, then run "make" and "make tests", and
see if the tests run ok.  Check out the output from the tests and see
if you can make sense of what is going on.  If not, come back here and
ask.

Try reading the code and figuring out how it works.  If you don't see
why it does something a particular way, ask.  That means we probably
should have a comment in the code there.  That kind of feedback is
helpful.