Tux3 performance: FUSE vs kernel

Daniel Phillips daniel at phunq.net
Fri Dec 23 05:00:27 PST 2016

On 12/23/2016 03:19 AM, Raymond Jennings wrote:
> Hey um, is there much performance difference between using tux3 on
> FUSE vs as a built-in kernel module?

Yes, a huge difference. Fuse imposes a large (huge) overhead on the
async operations that a kernel filesystem uses, and in the case of our
fuse implemention, completely serializes them. I haven't actually
measured the difference, but expect performance reduction of orders of
magnitude for many common operations. Basically, the only time fuse ever
looks efficient is when there is some other, expensive operation going
on, like a slow disk or a network. Put a SSD behind any fuse filesystem
and the overhead will be easily visible. Not slagging fuse here, that's
just the nature of the problem.