Tux3 Report: How fast can we fail?

Daniel Phillips daniel at phunq.net
Thu May 28 20:27:50 PDT 2015

On Thursday, May 28, 2015 4:19:29 PM PDT, Andreas Karlsson wrote:
> On 05/28/2015 07:27 PM, Daniel Phillips wrote:
>> Not doubting you, but how would overwriting files help you recover
>> from disk full?
>
> One benefit I see is that monitoring tools based on round-robin
> databases like Munin and MRTG can continue writing monitoring
> data even when the disk is full.

OK, I'll buy that. In general, it's better if as much stuff works
as possible in a disk full state.

Another quality metric is, it should work or fail predictably, not
erratically, sometimes succeeding and sometimes failing with no
reason that makes sense to the user. Tux3 seems to satisfy that
now, given some slight improvements that aren't posted yet. But of
course it needs wider testing, another reason for merging sooner
rather than later.