xfs: does mkfs.xfs require fancy switches to get decent performance? (was Tux3 Report: How fast can we fsync?)

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Wed May 13 12:09:58 PDT 2015

Am Dienstag, 12. Mai 2015, 18:26:28 schrieb Daniel Phillips:
> On 05/12/2015 03:35 PM, David Lang wrote:
> >>
> >> You are wrong about Dave These are not the words of any friend:
> >>   "I don't think I'm alone in my suspicion that there was something
> >>   stinky about your numbers." -- Dave Chinner
> >

> > you are looking for offense. That just means that something is wrong
> > with them, not that they were deliberatly falsified.
>
> I am not mistaken. Dave made sure to eliminate any doubt about
> what he meant. He said "Oh, so nicely contrived. But terribly
> obvious now that I've found it" among other things.

Daniel, what are you trying to achieve here?

I thought you wanted to create interest for your filesystem and acceptance
for merging it.

What I see you are actually creating tough is something different.

Is what you see after you send your mails really what you want to see? If
not… why not? And if you seek change, where can you create change?

I really like to see Tux3 inside the kernel for easier testing, yet I also
see that the way you, in your oppinion, "defend" it, does not seem to move
that goal any closer, quite the opposite. It triggers polarity and
resistance.

I believe it to be more productive to work together with the people who will
decide about what goes into the kernel and the people whose oppinions are
respected by them, instead of against them.

"Assume good faith" can help here. No amount of accusing people of bad
intention will change them. The only thing you have the power to change is
your approach. You absolutely and ultimately do not have the power to change
other people. You can´t force Tux3 in by sheer willpower or attacking
people.

On any account for anyone discussing here: I believe that any personal
attacks, counter-attacks or "you are wrong" kind of speech will not help to
move this discussion out of the circling it seems to be in at the moment.

Ciao,