xfs: does mkfs.xfs require fancy switches to get decent performance? (was Tux3 Report: How fast can we fsync?)

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Wed May 13 00:20:53 PDT 2015

On Tue 2015-05-12 13:54:58, Daniel Phillips wrote:

> >> Please do not say "we" when you know that I am just as much a "we"
> >> as you are. Merging Tux3 is not your decision. The people whose
> >> decision it actually is are perfectly capable of recognizing your
> >> agenda for what it is.
> >>
> >>   http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA0NzM
> >>   "XFS Developer Takes Shots At Btrfs, EXT4"
> >
> > umm, Phoronix has no input on what gets merged into the kernel. they also hae a reputation for
> > trying to turn anything into click-bait by making it sound like a fight when it isn't.
>
> Perhaps you misunderstood. Linus decides what gets merged. Andrew
> decides. Greg decides. Dave Chinner does not decide, he just does
> his level best to create the impression that our project is unfit
> to merge. Any chance there might be an agenda?

Dunno. _Your_ agenda seems to be "attack other maintainers so much
that you can later claim they are biased".

Not going to work, sorry.

> > As Dave says above, it's not the other filesystem people you have to convince, it's the core VFS and
> > Memory Mangement folks you have to convince. You may need a little benchmarking to show that there
> > is a real advantage to be gained, but the real discussion is going to be on the impact that page
> > forking is going to have on everything else (both in complexity and in performance impact to other
> > things)
>
> Yet he clearly wrote "we" as if he believes he is part of it.
>
> Now that ENOSPC is done to a standard way beyond what Btrfs had
> when it was merged, the next item on the agenda is writeback. That
> involves us and VFS people as you say, and not Dave Chinner, who
> only intends to obstruct the process as much as he possibly can. He

Why would he do that? Aha, maybe because you keep attacking him all
the time. Or maybe because your code is not up to the kernel
standards. You want to claim it is the former, but it really looks
like the latter.

Just stop doing that. You are not creating nice atmosphere and you are
not getting tux3 being merged in any way.

									Pavel