xfs: does mkfs.xfs require fancy switches to get decent performance? (was Tux3 Report: How fast can we fsync?)

Dave Chinner david at fromorbit.com
Mon May 11 22:38:42 PDT 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 07:34:34PM -0700, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> Anyway, everybody but you loves competitive benchmarks, that is why I

I think Ted and I are on the same page here. "Competitive
benchmarks" only matter to the people who are trying to sell
something. You're trying to sell Tux3, but....

> post them. They are not only useful for tracking down performance bugs,
> but as you point out, they help us advertise the reasons why Tux3 is
> interesting and ought to be merged.

.... benchmarks won't get tux3 merged.

Addressing the significant issues that have been raised during
previous code reviews is what will get it merged.  I posted that
list elsewhere in this thread which you replied that they were all
"on the list of things to do except for the page forking design".

The "except page forking design" statement is your biggest hurdle
for getting tux3 merged, not performance. Without page forking, tux3
cannot be merged at all. But it's not filesystem developers you need
to convince about the merits of the page forking design and
implementation - it's the mm and core kernel developers that need to
review and accept that code *before* we can consider merging tux3.

IOWs, you need to focus on the important things needed to acheive
your stated goal of getting tux3 merged. New filesystems should be
faster than those based on 20-25 year old designs, so you don't need
to waste time trying to convince people that tux3, when complete,
will be fast.

Cheers,

Dave.
--