MVRB-Tree vs PHTree

Daniel Phillips daniel at phunq.net
Mon Sep 1 03:08:09 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:18:36 AM PDT, OGAWA Hirofumi wrote:
> Elifarley Callado Coelho Cruz <elifarley at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wonder if you guys see any possible benefit of using MVRB-Tree
>> instead of PHTree as a data structure for Tux3. It's used in the
>> OrientDB NoSQL database.
>>
>> From https://github.com/orientechnologies/orientdb:
>
> Hm, I'm still not sure about the detail of MVRB-Tree though. MVRB-Tree
> seems to be deprecated by OrientDB since v1.6.
>
> http://www.orientechnologies.com/docs/last/orientdb.wiki/Indexes.html

Hi Eli,

I agree with Hirofumi. Not having durability would immediately disqualify
MVRB
as an indexing scheme for a file system. However, you will be happy to hear
that phtree is already obsoleted in favor of shardmap, a much better
indexing
scheme that appears to scale comfortably into the billions of files per
directory, and unlike MVRB, is durable (durability is actually the hard
part).
See the prototype in our Git tree. Hopefully I will present a talk on
Shardmap
in the not too distant future, and also turn the prototype into production
code.