[RFC] Tux3 for review

Dongsu Park dongsu.park at profitbricks.com
Thu May 22 02:52:27 PDT 2014

Hi,

On 19.05.2014 17:55, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> On 05/18/2014 04:55 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
> >On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 05:50:59PM -0700, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> >>We would like to offer Tux3 for review for mainline merge. We have
> >>prepared a new repository suitable for pulling:
> >>
> >>https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/daniel/linux-tux3.git/

First of all, thank you for trying to merge it to mainline.
Maybe I cannot say the code is clean enough, but basically
the filesystem seems to work at least.

> >Then there's all the writeback hacks. You've simply copy-n-pasted
> >most of fs-writeback.c, including duplicating structures like struct
> >wb_writeback_work and then hacked in crap (kallsyms lookups!) to be
> >able to access core structures from kernel module context
> >(tux3_setup_writeback(), I'm looking at you).
> This is intentional. The files named "*_hack" were kept as close as
> possible to the original core code to clarify exactly where core
> needs to change in order to remove our workarounds. If you think we
> should pretty up that code then we will happily do it. Or maybe we
> can hammer out acceptable core patches right now, and include those
> with our merge proposal. That would make us even happier. We hate
> those hacks as much as you do.

Looking up kallsyms is not only hacky, but also making the filesystem
unable to be mounted at all, when CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL is not defined.
I'll send out patches to fix that separately to tux3 mailing list.

Regards,
Dongsu