Tux3 report: New news for the new year

Shentino shentino at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 22:58:35 PST 2013

Haven't had a chance to benchmark it yet due to system troubles in the
wake of a botched emerge, but from what I can tell the "write a
promise" logic seems to be much smoother than btrfs's recursive
cow'ing.

>From what I can tell on the design, tux3 is "fsync satiating" with a
single disk write.  It writes the data to the final location, updates
the log, and at that point the data is considered committed and it can
let userspace go on its merry way and take care of rolling up the
changes later.  If I understand btrfs correctly though it has to block
until the cow logic percolates all the way up to the superblock.

One other thing that interests me is this "page forking" that allows
userspace to write to a page that's already busy being written to
disk.  From what I heard it bypasses a stall caused by userspace I/O
hitting a locked page.

Finally, atime handling.  I personally dislike the forced default of
"relatime" for mount options and anything that can let atime updates
happen without being a bottleneck is a plus for me.

I'll probably have more to say once I get my new computer set up but
from what I gather talking to these guys on IRC, tux3 seems pretty
promising.

I actually followed its development in its heyday 2 years earlier
before it dropped off the radar.