[Tux3] Tux3 report: Tux3 Git tree available

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Sun Mar 15 23:38:30 PDT 2009

Dave,

It wasn't my intention to say that XFS was bad; in fact, I thought I
was actually complementing XFS by talking about some of the advanced
features that XFS had (many of which I have always said that ext3 has,
and some of which ext4 still does not have, and probably never will
have).  I stand corrected on some of the details that I got wrong.
What I was trying to say was that *if* (and perhaps I'm
misunderstanding fsblock) that fsblock is requiring that as soon as a
page is dirty, fsblock requests the filesystem to assign a block
allocation to the buffers attached to the dirty page, that this would
spike out delayed allocation, which would be unfortunate for *both*
ext4 and XFS.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding what fsblock is doing, and there isn't
a problem here.

Regards,

						- Ted