[Tux3] Tux3 report: Tux3 Git tree available

Nick Piggin nickpiggin at yahoo.com.au
Thu Mar 12 05:45:13 PDT 2009

On Thursday 12 March 2009 23:32:30 Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 05:24:33AM -0700, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 March 2009, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > > That's interesting. Do you handle 1K block sizes with 64K page size? :)
> >
> > Not in its current incarnation.  That would require 32 bytes worth of
> > state while the current code just has a 4 byte map (4 bits X 8 blocks).
> > I suppose a reasonable way to extend it would be 4 x 8 byte maps.  Has
> > somebody spotted a 64K page?
>
> I believe SGI ship their ia64 kernels configured this way.  Certainly
> 16k ia64 kernels are common, which would (if I understand your scheme
> correctly) be 8 bytes worth of state in your scheme.

I think some distros will (or do) ship configs with 64K page size for
ia64 and powerpc too. I think I have heard of people using 64K pages
with ARM. There was some (public) talk of x86-64 getting a 16K or 64K
page size too (and even if not HW, some people want to be able to go
bigger SW pagecache size).

I wouldn't expect 64K page and 1K block to be worth optimising for
(although 64K page systems could easily use older or shared 4K block
filesystems). But just keep in mind that a good solution should not
rely on PAGE_CACHE_SIZE for correctness.