[Tux3] Tux3 Git repository

Daniel Phillips phillips at phunq.net
Tue Mar 10 21:55:33 PDT 2009

Here is a Git repository that just contains the files and change history
from user/kernel/*.  Most of the heavy lifting to extract this from our
Mercurial tree was done by Hirofumi, who came up with a scripts for
extracting changes from our Mercurial repository, cleaning up email
addresses, and producing a set of patches suitable for import into Git.

Please take a look at this repository and see if the history looks ok:

   http://phunq.net/files/tux3git.tgz

I considered cleaning up some of the commit comments to fix spelling
mistakes and reformat to have consistent line lengths, but then I
thought, well its our actual history so just leave it alone.

To create the official public Git repository, I will do a subtree import
of this repository into a clone of Linus's mainline Git tree.

I think we will continue main development with the Mercurial repository,
and use various tricks to sync with the public Git repository.  For now,
syncing will just be one way: we will develop changesets in the
Mercurial repository and import them into Git from time to time.  We
used a procedure much like that to create the initial repository, and
this can be automated, so I do not think it will be a big job to
continue syncing this way for the next couple of months.

If people start cloning the public Git repository and offering pulls,
then we will have changes coming back in the other direction, and we
need to think about whether we really want to continue with two separate
repositories.  Let's just see how it goes, and we can make adjustments
later.  For now, I would appreciate it if people take a look at the
linked tarball.  I hope to finish setting up the Tux3 Git repository
today.