[Tux3] Add more buffer debug code

Daniel Phillips phillips at phunq.net
Sat Jan 10 14:41:46 PST 2009

On Saturday 10 January 2009 11:19, OGAWA Hirofumi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is mainly for debugging buffer state, and cleanup for it.  I think
> we will play with buffer soon, to get bugs more early, I hope this is
> useful for it.
>
> 	static-http://userweb.kernel.org/~hirofumi/tux3/
>
> Please review.

Massive changes to buffer.c!  I guess that means you like it.  All this
looks fine.  It is still independent of tux3.h, which will be nice if we
put it back into ddsnap.

How should free_buffer work if there are mixed prealloc and randomly
allocated buffers?  Just free the prealloc vector and not worry about
randomly allocated buffers, as that is just a hack to keep going when
prealloc failed for some reason?  Or maybe just eliminate random alloc
when we are using prealloc.  Instead have prealloc try again with a
smaller allocation until it succeeds, which is useful when running in
a tiny test environment like UML.  There is no urgency to improving
this.

Sharing hexdump between kernel and userspace broke the kernel build
because there is no definition of printf without including tux3.h,
which I would like to avoid for this otherwise completely independent
utility.  We will remove this from kernel eventually anyway, there is
already a much fancier hexdump in linux/lib/hexdump.c that we can use
with a simple wrapper.  (Notice there are various hexdumps littered
around the kernel.)

I partially reverted the hexdump move and pushed to public.