[Tux3] Cool features

Filip Sneppe filip.sneppe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 08:07:31 PST 2009

Hi,

2009/1/8 Michael Keulkeul <kriptomik at gmail.com>:
> Very good news !
>
> This would be so cool to be able to use tux3 as a backend for SAN
> ! Journaling data + meta is a solution, or sync writes (I don't know if
> OCFS2 works) but I miss journaling and performance, well, just sux... Last
> thing is that to my knowledge even ZFS is not ready for that, and I would
> love to see tux3 beating it on that ground :)

As a non-developer on this mailing list I would like to add that I would love
to see this feature too. This is feature that is available on some other OS'es
out there and is being used in combination with enterprise SANs for
backup & disaster recovery purposes.

I think what we're talking about here is a feature that appears to be present
in XFS:

http://man-wiki.net/index.php/8:xfs_freeze

Speaking as an end-user here, I would love to see this type of feature
implemented
and made available for all Linux filesystems. A long while ago I asked about
a possible implementation of a freeze/thaw feature for ext3, but I
don't think ext3 has
this feature.

I believe it's possible to work around this by using LVM, but when your storage
is en enterprise-class highly available SAN with snapshotting built
in, you don't
always want to implement LVM in order to get snapshots of your Linux
filesystems..

Is there a reason why this needs to be implemented in each filesystem
individually
rather than at a more generic layer ?

Best regards,
Filip