[Tux3] Tux3 report: A Golden Copy

Justin P. Mattock justinmattock at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 12:36:34 PST 2009

Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 31 Dezember 2008 schrieb Justin P. Mattock:
>
>> Martin Steigerwald wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> Hmmm, I thought

>>> Tux3 is a write-anywhere, atomic commit, btree-based versioning
>>> filesystem. It is the spiritual and moral successor of Tux2, the most
>>> famous filesystem that was never released. The main purpose of Tux3
>>> is to embody Daniel Phillips's new ideas on storage data versioning.
>>> The secondary goal is to provide a more efficient snapshotting and
>>> replication method for the Zumastor NAS project, and a tertiary goal
>>> is to be better than ZFS.
>>> http://tux3.org/
>>>
>>> was pretty clear. What are you missing?
>>>
>>> Ciao,
>>>
>> I guess this is what is confusing to me:
>> atomic commit, btree-based versioning.
>>

> Ah, the buzz words. ;)
>
> The tux3 mailing list contains quite some design notes about these
> concepts. I think others can give better answers about these concepts - I
> think I understood what it is for, not the implementation details. But
> basically "atomic commit" is a strategy to have the filesystem always in
> a consistent state and btree-based versioning allows to keep different
> versions of a file / directory around. And unlike other filesystem tux3
> has this per inode and not for the complete filesystem. At least if I
> understand correctly.
>
> But at least it should clear that tux3 is a filesystem and not a video
> game ;).
>

>> irregardless about how it's worded,
>> I'm wondering if I should use this mechanism,
>> or not.
>>

> Right now its still in heavy development and not of release quality. I.e.
> something to play around and test with if you want.
>
> Ciao,

Yeah, my bad for thinking tux3 was a video game
(don't ask why); I need to get glasses!!
When I was told it was a filesystem it clicked.
As for the atomic commit Thanks for explanation.
(I honestly had no idea what that meant);
with test and playing around with this, I have
an old dell inspiron hanging around, when
I have the time I'll have to give it a try.
Do I have to wipe out the ext3 partition
on it, or is that O.K.

regards;

Justin P. Mattock