[Tux3] Patch : Data Deduplication in Userspace

Christensen Stefan stefan.christensen at uit.no
Wed Feb 25 03:21:41 PST 2009

Behalf Of Daniel Phillips
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:39 AM
> Fine, so there is a solution and it is just a matter of
> choosing the best solution.  There is no need for any
> immediate change to the dedup prototype in my opinion.  For
> the userspace code, I can add a specific exception if we
> consider it necessary.  I also like the idea of trying a few
> alternative hashes, more because of the chance to increase
> performance than the OpenSSL issue.

It should be a cryptographically secure hash, just to make sure
it is collision resistant. It might be an idea to follow the
SHA-3 competition by NIST. It can be fount here:
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/hash/sha-3/index.html

An offsite wikipedia regarding SHA-3 can be found here:
http://ehash.iaik.tugraz.at/wiki/The_SHA-3_Zoo

The idea behind SHA-3 is to find a hash that is as resilient as
SHA-2 (256,512bit), but a lot faster.