[Tux3] Request for a project idea

Pranith Kumar bobby.prani at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 05:54:50 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Aruna Medhekar <sparx2010 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sir,
> We are extremely sorry for the error in the previous message.We wish to do
> a project in tux3 filesystem.Please let us know something that you think is
> within our scope.
> Thank you !

FYI, Recent mail from Daniel:

Anyway, let me offer two beginner projects:

 1) Add success checks to unit tests
 2) add a "check" command to the tux3 command

Unit test success:

 - Unit tests are compiled as main programs in tux/user, that include
   kernel files and sometimes other userspace files as source text,
   for example: #include "kernel/filemap.c"

 - Currently, unit tests just run and produce output.  If something is
   wrong an assertion may trigger, or it may segfault, or the tracing
   output may be unreasonable.

 - It would be better if the test concluded with a test to see that
   then final result is as expected, according to the operations that
   were performed.  The main program should return 0 with no warning
   if results are correct, otherwise print a warning and return 1, a
   failure code for a shell script we may add later.

Tux3 check:

  - Command form should be:

      tux3 check <volume> [<file>]

  - As a first approximation, should just walk the filesystem tree from
    the root as Hirofumi's tux3graph program does, checking that
    physical block pointers lie within the volume and that leaf nodes
    of the inode table and file data subtrees pass the leaf checks
    already implemented.

  - Later, this walk will build a bitmap map of used blocks so that we
    can check that there is no lost space in the volume and that actual
    used/free matches the allocation bitmaps.  When building the bitmap
    we can also check for multiple pointers to the same block, which
    are not allowed in tux3.