[Tux3] Data Deduplication feature in Tux3

Daniel Phillips phillips at phunq.net
Thu Sep 11 13:37:22 PDT 2008

On Thursday 11 September 2008 11:44, kushal dalmia wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> We are final year students pursuing Computer Engineering from Pune
> Institute of Computer Technology, India. We have been following the
> development of Tux3 over the mailing list and irc. As our final year
> project we are planning the "Data Deduplication" feature for Tux 3. We
> intend to implement Deduplication as a user configurable feature
> allowing varying granularities like particular folder,volume etc. This
> feature would help Tux3 become a more space and performance efficient
> filesystem. We would like to know your thoughts on the same.
>
> Regards,
> Amey Magar
> Chinmay Kamat
> Gaurav Tungatkar
> Kushal Dalmia

If I may presume to speak on behalf of all Tux3 members, we will fully
support your effort!

As you know from reading the recent messages about xattrs, Tux3 already
has some infrastructure for deduplication: deduplication of xattr names
in inodes.  You might find this a useful starting point, especially
when the reference counting part of it is implemented.  Thoughts?