[Tux3] The long and short of extended attributes

Kent Overstreet kent.overstreet at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 05:48:32 PDT 2008

How are you planning on storing this table?

Seems to me this really is a general purpose de duplication facility,
and it's worth it to think about the implications... and how to make it
scale.

I think the way to go is a trie, with back pointers, and then reference
nodes by pointers to the leaves. Probably want a heap just for the
atom table, partly just to keep everything contiguous.

If it'll scale up to millions of entries (and I think it has to even
if it's just
used for xattr names; I don't see how it's possible just to use it for
ones you use more than once) there really isn't anything preventing you
from using it for anything you want; the only reason you wouldn't want
to use it for all your files is the fragmentation wouldn't be worth it when
the expected # of duplicates is small - but for small files (for some value
of small) - why not?

You'd probably want to keep nodes segregated somewhat by depth
for cache reasons, if you did start to throw all kinds of stuff in it.

Sound completely insane?