[Tux3] Tux3 fuse port

Daniel Phillips phillips at phunq.net
Sat Sep 6 14:47:29 PDT 2008

Tux3 fuse testing is now integrated in the makefile, which plays to the
strengths of make (goodness knows, there are few enough of those).  So
now you can type:

   make testfs

which creates a sparse testvolume in /tmp using dd, makes a tux3
filesystem on it using tux3 mkfs and mounts it in /tmp using the
tux3fs fuse binary.  You can then play with the mounted filesystem,
notice countless things wrong with it, and when done, clean up with:

   make untest

For actual debugging you want the unbundled test commands:

   make makefs

which just creates the sparse volume and a tux3 filesystem on it, then:

   make debug

which runs the fuse daemon tux3fs in the foreground so you can see the
trace output.  You then issue shell commands from a different terminal.
The tux3fs daemon exits either when killed (ctrl-C is handy) or when
the volume is unmounted (make untest).

Sometimes (pretty often actually) the fuse volume will refuse to
umount, claiming it is busy, when you know perfectly well that it is
not.  I have not assigned blame for this indiscretion yet.  Bug hunters
are more than welcome to chase this.  I think it is a fuse bug but will
happily admit otherwise if somebody comes up with proof positive to the
contrary.

If fuse refuses to unmount, simply:

   make unbork

which will lazy unmount it.  The filesystem will seem to go away, but
it is actually still there, just not bothering you any more.  Ctrl-C out
of tux3fs and you are ready for another debug cycle.  Eventually you
may want to reboot your workstation to clean out those hung mounts, but
Linux can handle huge numbers of them without showing any signs of
strain.

The fact that umount -f fails to get rid of fuse mounts is a Linux bug,
pure and simple.  It should go on the list of things that we Tux3 devs
will fix in the fullness of time, for the greater glory of Linux.