[Tux3] Extent support has landed

Daniel Phillips phillips at phunq.net
Fri Oct 3 16:41:33 PDT 2008

On Friday 03 October 2008 09:03, I wrote:
> Once we have the extent, we probe into the btree, 64 blocks below the
> beginning of the extent, which ensures that no existing extents that
> may overlap the io extent are missed...

...and I should mention, this constitutes a small efficiency that can be
easily corrected.  Each btree leaf pointer simply needs to have a bit
reserved to indicate that some extents may overlap into the next btree
leaf, and we check that bit during the probe to determine whether to
seek directly to the target extent address, or to the predecessor node.

This is the strategy used by HTree, and is one of the unique elements of
HTree that distinquishes it from a standard BTree.  This "continuation"
bit is to be implmented in the generic btree code so that all the Tux3
btree flavors can take advantage of it, and therefore will be a step in
the direction of implementing HTree and PHTree for tux3.