[Tux3] I want to contribute

Daniel Phillips phillips at phunq.net
Wed Nov 26 14:38:39 PST 2008

On Wednesday 26 November 2008 03:27, Siddharth Prakash Singh wrote:
> I got to know about tux3 filesystem. I am a computer science student. I want
> to contribute to tux3 filesystem. How to get started?

Hi Siddharth,

To get started, install Mercurial and download a linux-2.6.26.5 tarball
from kernel.org:

   wget http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.26.5.tar.bz2

Get the kernel patch:

   wget http://tux3.org/patches/tux3-2.6.26.5-0

Get the tux3 userspace tree from mercurial:

   hg clone static-http://tux3.org/tux3

Build it:

  cd tux3 && make

Run the userspace tests under Valgrind:

  make tests

Run Tux3 under FUSE:

  make mkfs
  make debug

Tux3 will now be mounted on tux3/test.  You can try filesystem operations
on that directory from another terminal.  Ctrl-C on the make debug
command to umount, or umount tux3/test as root.

Patch and build the kernel:

  cd linux-2.6.26.5 && patch <tux3-2.6.26.5-0 -p1 && make defconfig && make

Now make xconfig or edit .config to enable Tux3 and remake.  Find a
test box and boot it.

Next thing is to start reading files and get familiar with the structure.
That should keep you busy long enough for me to make a list of things to
do :)

(This post needs to go on our site as a "Getting Started" doc.)