[Tux3] Networking ..

Daniel Phillips phillips at phunq.net
Tue Nov 25 00:30:55 PST 2008

On Monday 24 November 2008 23:02, Lars Segerlund wrote:
>  I know it's early, but has any thought gone into using tux3 in a
> networked environement ?
>  I am just qurious :-D !

Given that this project evolved out of Zumastor, the NAS project,
you might suspect we were thinking about networking, and you would
be right.

>  Since 'being a better zfs than zfs' was part of the ambition :-D

Ah, it was "be better than ZFS", not "be a ZFS".

In fact, ZFS got replication a few months after we developed it from
scratch and posted the algorithnm on the Zumastor site.  So maybe ZFS
was trying to be a better Zumastor than Zumastor? ;-)

>  Mostly out of curiosity, but also since there are some things like
> caching/disconnected operation/redundancy/clustering that seems to ba
> a good match for the 'versioned updates' .

Very much so.

>  There might be a thing or two which is easier to get right now than
> to fix later.

We intend Tux3 to replace ddsnap in Zumastor, so we know what the
required feature set is.  The main reason for that is to achieve
higher write performance, making the Zumastor model useful for more
than just NFS servers.

> Also I assume this would go in the kernel even if a user level daemon
> was doing the work ?
>
>  / regards, Lars Segerlund.

Tux3 is a kernel-based filesystem.  We just started coding in user
space to get some debugging done quickly.  As of a couple days ago,
Tux3 is running in kernel.  There will be an announcement pretty soon.