[Tux3] Organization of files for kernel port

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sun Nov 16 05:09:01 PST 2008

Hi Daniel,

Am Samstag 15 November 2008 schrieb Daniel Phillips:
> One thing we are going to try to do is to make at least some files
> identical between kernel and user space.  This will work particularly
> well for files like dleaf.c, ileaf.c, iattr.c and xattr.c that are just
> bashing information structures.  There will be a few adjustments to
> make, for example sometimes the kernel supports similar library calls
> with slightly funky argument order.  But in general this should not be
> too painful.  We will take those files into kernel, edit them to
> compile, then take the diffs back into the user space code and make
> that fit.
>
> All the files that are identical between kernel and user space will go
> in a new "kernel" directory.  Most but not all of tux3.h can be used in
> kernel.  If we avoid putting anything kernel-specific in it, then we
> can have tux3.h in the main user code directory that includes
> kernel/tux3.h, then has userspace-specific content.  If tux3.h
> unavoidably had to have kernel content, it can be set off with #ifdef
> __kernel.

Just a naive question from me - I didn't do much more than adjusting a
kernel patch, tuxonice usually, to apply cleanly till now and just lurked
in the background being curious about tux3 and fs developments in
general:

How about having

- userspace for userspace only stuff
- common for stuff that can be common to both worlds
- kernel for kernel only stuff

as directories and placing files accordingly? This would seem to be the
cleanest classification to me.

Ciao,