[Tux3] Deferred Namespace Operations

Daniel Phillips phillips at phunq.net
Mon Nov 10 23:15:38 PST 2008

On Monday 10 November 2008 13:56, Maciej Żenczykowski wrote:
> > two.  A file that is created and deleted before a delta transition
> > takes place will not only never appear on disk, it will not even appear
> > in a cached disk block.
>
> I'd like to point out, that if you create a file, open it, then delete
> it, you can then still use it to store temporary data - this is indeed
> a common use case.  However the amount of data storage may very well
> exceed what you would be willing to store in ram, and thus you would
> want to be able to write this data out to disk, even though the file
> itself doesn't exist any more...  Some sort of swap-like behaviour???

You mean an orphan temporary file?  I think we just need to make sure
that works as it is supposed to.  It is reasonable for file data of
such a file to be transferred to disk just like any other file, even
though the file is unlinked.  We just need to be sure that it will get
cleaned up like any other orphan.