[Tux3] Cont: a few thoughts about REALLY outstanding features

Michael Pattrick mpattrick at rhinovirus.org
Sat Dec 20 12:50:59 PST 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 12:41 PM, myLC at gmx.net <myLC at gmx.net> wrote:
> Daniel Phillips replied (making me rather angry;-):
>> If you are writing a video editing application, you probably
>> should design an intermediate representation that uses
>> multiple files and keeps track of them with an index.
>
> Yes, that's what's being done currently. Reinventing the
> wheel for thousands of applications...

That goes beyond the scope of this project. Its true that their may be
a market for that type of API, but its a whole different project in
itself.

>> Just another filesystem I am afraid, with one big advance
>> (versioning) and a number of incremental ones.
And that's the way to go about it, it may seem easy to tack side
projects on but scopecreep (ScopeCreep: the devourer of souls and
government projects) could destroy Tux3. Adding this type of feature
would increase the complexity of a filesystem with the stated goal of
having a 'tight' code base. Having a well defined list of reasonable
features increases the likelihood that a project will be successful,
adding a feature like this right now - just as Tux3 is preparing for
its mainline merge- could delay the merge, increase the time needed to
document, increase code complexity, and possibly introduce new types
of bugs.

But that's just my take on it.

Cheers,
Michael Pattrick