[Tux3] a few thoughts about REALLY outstanding features

Philipp Marek philipp.marek at emerion.com
Thu Dec 18 05:26:50 PST 2008

Hello LC!

On Donnerstag, 18. Dezember 2008, myLC at gmx.net wrote:
> Is it only me thinking that this is a silly way of handling
> such things on a block oriented filesystem (preferably
> supporting sparse blocks)? Shouldn't you be able to:
> - insert/prepend a chunk of data into a file
> - remove a chunk from a file
> - move a chunk from one file into another
Well, if such things are possible, it would only be a small step to make "copy
this chunk of data to the other file, and let it start from some offset", with
COW semantics.

And IIRC there was some talk about using extents in several "versions" of the
filesystem in parallel (with COW) - so this idea would simply say that we need
COW within a *single* version, too.

Regards,

Phil