[Tux3] Review incoming changes

Maciej Żenczykowski zenczykowski at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 02:17:02 PST 2008

> IIRC, MD RAID is using final 64kb. I think we should clear the top
> 1024bytes and final 64kb. (And with it, to make sure, we would check if
> volume size is bigger than 64kb, instead of clearing 64kb blindly.)

You definitely want to clear at least 4 kB, and probably 8 kB at the
front -- for example - the first 1kB of my root partition is all
zeroes because ext3 skips the first kb to leave room for a partition
table or boot sector or what not.

My suggestion would be to clear both the first and last 1 MB - if it
fits in the available space on the volume.
Reasoning?
For example in /usr/share/file/magic:
0x10034><------>string<>ReIsErFs<------>ReiserFS V3.5

So it seems reiserfs's signature is at just past 64kB (as is UFS's in
some variants).
and there are many examples past 1kB, some past 32kB (isos for example)

In general clearing out too much shouldn't hurt - it's not like this
is a performance issue, clearing out too little may be problematic and
cause issues later on - better to be safe then sorry...

Maciej