[Tux3] Deferred namespace operations, Defer rename

Daniel Phillips phillips at phunq.net
Tue Dec 16 01:48:54 PST 2008

On Monday 15 December 2008 11:36, Maciej Żenczykowski wrote:
> side note:
>
> The mere existence of the '..' entry is actually a fair bit of a
> problem in and of itself... it ties the entire filesystem into one
> freakin' mess, instead of allowing you to treat each subdirectory (and
> subdirectory there-of) as it's own little independent world [think
> versioning, copy-on-write, etc, etc, etc...].  I'm pretty sure that
> the '..' entry should be simulated somehow...

You are right, with .. stored in a directory block then we have the
messy task of versioning the block on directory move.  It is better to
store the directory parent as an inode attribute, for which we already
have a nice versioning scheme.

The plan is indeed to make "." and ".." virtual.  That means having a
directory parent attribute and a little hocus pocus in readdir to
return the virtual entries.