[Tux3] 64bit inum, mknod(), dirent change, etc.

Daniel Phillips phillips at phunq.net
Thu Dec 11 18:51:47 PST 2008

On Thursday 11 December 2008 11:20, OGAWA Hirofumi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think this adds some improvements, and makes some todo appear.
>
> With this, ->inum has the real inode number (64bit), and ->i_ino (may
> 32bit) is used as just hash value. But it has issue like the below
> list.  (So, we may want to add ->read_ino() handler or something.
> ->i_ino is hidden more or less from userland, but it is not perfect.
> If we have ->read_ino() handler to return the real inode number (same
> with stat64->ino), generic_* stuff may become more generically.)
>
> tux_new_inode() was introduced. We initialize the new inode with it.
> And TODO, now it saves almost all attributes, but we would want to
> optimize it by removing unneeded attributes.
>
> The preparation of device special file support was done. TODO, we have
> to load/store the rdev valude from/to ileaf. So, we have to decide the
> size of rdev. (Now kernel uses the 32bit device number internally (new_*),
> but there is the preparation of the 64bit device number (huge_*).
> And glibc seems to already use 64bit to prepare for the future.)
>
> NOTE, and this changes the inum field size in dirent from 32bit to
> 64bit. Of course, it is for storing the 64bit inum.  However, this means
> it changes the on-disk format.
>
> Per-patch comment is in repo as usual,
>
> 	static-http://userweb.kernel.org/~hirofumi/tux3/
>
> Please review.

The change to 64 bit ino in dir.c is a disk format change and requires
a rev of the date part of the superblock magic.  I will pull first,
then do that... pulled, user built perfectly, make tests ran, kernel
built perfectly, booted up... the tests I use for ext2 ran...

Check_present is a nice add, the iget5 stuff is very cool, supporting
48 bit ino on 32 bit arch is very very cool.

Awesome patch set :-)