[World] Sliced and diced

Daniel Phillips phillips at phunq.net
Mon Jun 11 23:49:09 PDT 2012

Theory turns into practice. As expected, the surface slicing turns out to be
rugged and consistent. And importantly, does indeed produce the desired
result: boolean solid combinations.

The attached images:

	solid6:  Interpenetrating tetrahedra with arc of intersection
	solid7:  Boolean Union
	solid8:  Boolean Intersection
	solid9:  Open manifold

The last image shows something that is not a solid at all but an open
manifold. Actually, the others are all open manifolds too, but they are just
one glue step away from being solid. In many cases, an open manifold may be
exactly the result we want. It gives us a way of drilling holes in surfaces.

What we have here is not an algebra on solids, but an algebra on open
manifolds. I think that may be something new, at least I have not seen it
discussed in the computer graphics literature. But it seems obvious at this
point that this is the Right Way To Do It, and neatly sidesteps some awkward
difficulties of traditional methods. While also showing promise in terms of
robustness and efficiency, though we can't be sure of that until it matures a
little.

Though the principle is now satisfactorily demonstrated, a considerable amount
of finishing work remains. The next big item will be open arcs, that is,
cutting arcs that run from boundary to boundary instead of joining back to
themselves. After that I think we need some fancier images, which most
probably will entail some debugging. And then I suppose it is time to think in
detail about the coplanar face problem.

Inconsistencies due to numerical accuracy also need to be addressed but I am
pretty sure the plan I have in mind for that will work, and I will wait until
some bugs actually show up before wading in. And there is also a nasty N**2
step in the algorithm that needs to go away. Until that is fixed, images with
hundreds of thousands of triangles will be impractical.