fallocate support ...

Lars Segerlund lars.segerlund at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 00:37:30 PDT 2017

 Hi guys,

 I am doing some apps that preallocates files at known locations on disk,
continous and the order ( placement ) is important, so I thought I¨d ask if
there has been any thoughts about this on tux3 ?

 It¨s really a killer app for streaming, since files at the end of the disk
is slower, and files on the outer part of the platter is faster.

 Preferably I¨d like to have continous files of a given size take up as
much of the disk as I specify, from outer cylinders to the middle. ext4 has
some support to set this up at filesystem creation time through a custom
config to mkfs.

So there are two issues, one is large continous file allocation, and the
second is file placement.

 Any thoughts ?

 / regards, Lars Segerlund.